Operations Manager [Design and Retail]
About Darryl Carter Inc.
Darryl Carter, Inc. is a high-end interiors firm based in Washington, DC. The firm’s design vocabulary honors classical elements of the past and present; balancing the modern with the antique and the simple with the ornate, and has been creating bespoke environments for the individual for almost 20 years. Through the years Darryl Carter has been honored on such lists as House Beautiful’s “Top 50 in America” - Architectural Digest’s “AD-100” and Elle Decor’s “A-List.”
Darryl Carter has authored two best-selling books, The New Traditional and The Collected Home. In 2012 he opened a retail home boutique. Additionally Darryl Carter has licensed collections, which include lighting that is available through The Urban Electric Company and furniture/furnishings with Baker.
We are a big picture oriented small business in aggressive growth mode, and seek an experienced operations manager to join our team.
General Job Description
The ideal candidate is zealous about details and has a background in project management and operations. You have a love for all things operations and are naturally wired to see a process, find its gaps, and make it more efficient. Ideally, you are a well-rounded, strategically, creative thinking individual with 4+ years of operational management experience.
The Operations Manager is responsible for oversight of the design and retail departments, including resource planning, monitoring team hours, managing project retainer budgets, management of the team’s tasks and project goals, and administrative/operational functions. This individual will work closely with the Principal and team members to ensure company vision/goals are being executed within the design and retail departments. The qualified individual will have an excellent and proven track record of positively inspired motivational leadership. Ideally you will have had this experience within a creative industry and acquired effective balancing skills managing creatives while adhering to budgetary goals.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Design Department
- Work closely with principal and senior project managers to schedule and monitor all projects and provide detailed direction to design team.
- Manage design team workload, task assignments, and daily billable hours entry.
- Work with the senior project managers to effectively allocate resources and materials to meet project deadlines.
- Facilitate review of procurement documentation and fulfillment.
- Conduct monthly review of client invoicing for procurement and billable hours.
- Retail Department
- Work closely with principal and retail team to develop business goals and retail strategies, including but not limited, promotional events, inventory management, community outreach, and fulfillment.
- Oversee department’s implementation of e-commerce initiatives with principal and retail team, including structure development and ongoing operation.
- Monitor department’s execution of sales, inventory, product development, and marketing initiatives.
- Facilitate review of inventory and customer procurement documentation and fulfillment.
- Conduct monthly review of sales invoicing and associated sales commission reports.
- Accounting | Business Development | Human Resources
- Ensure that client project and sales transaction records are maintained in accordance with company accounting principles and procedures.
- Formalize, implement, and enforce policies and procedures.
- Assist senior management in financial planning and results management.
- Prepare reports for sales and associated tax filings in coordination with accounting team.
- Other finance and administrative duties as required.
- Assist with human resource functions, including employee search, new hire onboarding, and continual training programs.
- Conduct employee reviews in coordination with principal and supervisors.
- Evaluate new technologies to improve and optimize team performance.
- Manage legal contracts and vendor relations, including client services agreements, office and equipment leases, and organizational insurance reviews and renewals.
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Project management and/or operations experience.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience working in a growing start-up or small business environment strongly preferred.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Self-starter -- a highly motivated person able to work in a fast-paced environment that is continually changing.
- Ability to work without direct supervision, and efficiently manage tasks and time.
- Take accountability for your work, and also for the teams you will lead.
- Ability to exercise tact and good interpersonal skills.
- Analytical, problem solver, proactive with a sense of urgency.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills with a strong command of the English language, both written and spoken.
- A sense of creativity and an eye for aesthetics.
- Works well in a collaborative setting using tact and discretion.
- Highly organized, accurate, and neat in all aspects of the job.
- Works well under pressure; able to multi-task, prioritize, and consistently meet deadlines.
- Able to follow through on multiple projects with both short-term and long-term objectives.
- Available to work additional hours, as occasionally required to meet deadlines.
- Vehicle and valid driver’s license required.